1812Re: Hammock Camping Another Hammock

  • Coy
    Jun 18, 2003
      Yep the storage sack for the exped is the pump/bellows. Same
      reason. I read where thier valve is pretty bullet proof. Probably
      heavier material for the chambers too. I dont blame you for not
      wanting to sell.

      Coy Boy
      PS the David (photo dude from Cal) was David Spellman. I rememberd
      his name 5 sec after sending the message this morning. Sorry David

      > Coy, my DAM is approx: 70" long, 29" wide at shoulders, 3" thick;
      tapers
      > at head and foot ends. Yes it leaked around the valve at first--
      this is
      > a very hard item to properly seal, but with Jack's repair
      instructions
      > with the pad, I now have it sealed, although I worry it will leak
      again
      > at a critical time--some more testing will address this concern.
      As
      > Jack instructs, the proper glue is Piolt Bond, sold at many hobby
      shops
      > and fly-tying fishing shops. All other glues failed, including
      > Shoo-Gue, silicone caucking and Therm-a-rest hot glue. Future
      repairs
      > should not be a problem now that I have the right glue. The fabric
      > itself seems moderately tough but not as much as the Therm-a-rest
      > models.
      >
      > The carry sack that comes with the DAM is necessary for inflation
      of the
      > pad itself--you must not use your breath since it will put harmful
      > moisture inside the pad. This 3 oz bag must be carried as well as
      the
      > pad itself. Does the same apply for the Exped pads?
      >
      > Sorry, mine's not for sale! I will gladly bring it the next time
      we
      > meet....Ed

      What
      > size is yours. I want the biggest one he sells, 28 in wide IIRC
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
      wrote:
      > > Hi Coy, I've used a Stevenson D.A.M. down-filled inflatable and
      it
      > is an
      > > excellent solution--at 3" thick it's good down to well below
      zero
      > in a
      > > hammock! With the carry sack-inflator that comes with it, it
      > inflates
      > > with no problems in only 2-3 minutes. It is wide enough for
      broad
      > > shoulders and the full length gives total body protection.
      > Because of
      > > the 1.5 lb weight, I'm been looking for a lighter alternative,
      but
      > for
      > > zero temps, I'll gladly carry my DAM. Mine was $165 in 2000 and
      > was
      > > on a waiting list for 9 months before delivery! It is very-well
      > > handmade by Jack S and thus the high cost. Jack seemed
      reluctant
      > > sell the DAM without the rest of his Arctic sleeping system.
      Mine
      > did
      > > leak badly around the value when inflated the first time--but
      after
      > > considerable trial repairs, I've finally sealed it and it works
      > fine
      > > now. Obviously, the cost, weight and waiting list make it
      > unsuitable
      > > for many folks. I've considered making a moe suitable one
      myself
      > 2"
      > > thick and 3/4 length to reduce weight, but haven't found the
      time
      > yet.
      > > I'd hope to make it under 1 lb, thus it would compete well with
      > thinner
      > > foam inflatables, but would be much warmer.
      > >
      > > How thick is the Exped down pad? Weight? Dimensions? ....Ed

      D.A.M.
      > > would sure be a nice augment to the ground setup./ I keep
      hoping
      > > something better comes along
      > >
      > > Coy Boy
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell"
      > > <dchinell@m...> wrote:
      > > > Thanks for the lead...
      > > >
      > > > I can add an "amen" about Exped products and their quality. I
      > own a
      > > > Wallcreeper bag, and it's ideal for hammocking (provided you
      go
      > > with a bag
      > > > rather than a quilt).
      > > >
      > > > Bear