18087[Hammock Camping] Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it comfortable?

    Sep 24, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
      <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

      <snip>...

      > As far as your other points and trying to compare the Bridge Hammock
      > to a cot or the floor of a shelter. The comparison doesn't make any
      > sense to me. I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish
      > with such comparisons. First the Bridge Hammock is made of whatever
      > fabric you decide, you can use the heavy cotton used in the cot if you
      > like, but I wouldn't advise it. The same fabric you use for your other
      > DIY hammocks would be much better. As for comparing to the floor of a
      > shelter, I don't advise making the Bridge Hammock out of wood either.
      > As I said, the point of the comparisons escapes me.

      ... <snip>

      terry_and_pearl,

      I don't believe I compared the bridge hammock to a cot or the floor of
      a shelter.

      One point I was trying to make was that the term flat was being
      misused and could cause confusion. I have brought the same issue up
      in the past when folks stated they were able to lay flat in more
      traditional backpacking hammocks by laying on a diagonal and told them
      they weren't really laying flat but were laying flatter. As another
      example, this is a flat suspended platform http://tinyurl.com/3dmps3
      and this is not http://tinyurl.com/32v2rt . Both those types of
      platforms provide for a straight spine but have some different
      characteristics that can affect comfort... there are some tradeoffs
      involved and different individuals may find different comfort levels
      between the two.

      Another point I was trying to make was that being flat in itself is
      not the holy grail of comfort and that was where the reference to flat
      shelter floors was brought up. Shelter floors are flat but most
      people don't find them particularly comfortable unless they use a lot
      of cushioning with them. Many folks have gone to hammocks that use
      stretchy nylon fabric that don't allow them to get totally flat to get
      off those hard flat shelter floors so they could be more comfortable.

      My intent was to clarify the descriptions that were being used and to
      point out that being comfortable isn't all about being flat, that
      relieving uncomfortable pressure points plays a huge part it how
      comfortable a person is.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic