18086Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it cumfortable?

  • sebastiantoney
    Sep 24, 2007
      I made a Bridge Hammock. It's 96 inches long and 60 inches wide. First
      It was 36 inch spreaders on the head end and 24 inches on the foot
      end. Shoulder squeeze killed me. And Side sleeping didn't allow for
      the fetal position. Also, lines tend to get tangled.

      I'm one of those who has had a hard time getting comfortable in any
      hammock. But I ill say this, I think the Bridge Hammock is the only
      one I've seen with the potential to be comfortable. On Hammock Forums
      there is a version of the Bridge Hammock that does not use spreader
      bars. It uses snow stakes and line tied out on all four corners
      instead. That'll will be my next try. I just need to buy some big
      stakes and more Spyderline.

      I hear you about banana hammock being torture. I just can't get
      comfortable in them. I can't sleep on my back. And the banana curve
      plus the torque when laying on the diagonal is too much for me. For a
      long time I thought of giving up hammock camping. But the Bridge
      Hammock offers hope where banana hammocks fall short.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "terry_and_pearl"
      <terry_and_pearl@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
      > >
      > > GrizzlyAdams,
      > >
      > > I couldn't get the photo link to work this morning but I think I have
      > > seen the photos you refer too. You and I could probably get lost in
      > > technical talk but most folks don't want to hear that, they just want
      > > to know how it performs and compares relative to something they are
      > > familiar with.
      > >
      > > Getting into and out of hammocks is a tricky proposition with all
      > > hammocks and is something I get concerned with from time to time. You
      > > have to pay attention to what you are doing, particularly the novice
      > > hammock user or someone using underquilts, peapods or most any other
      > > insulation as they do add some level of complexity to the process.
      > > The narrow mid section that one would presumably first sit in on your
      > > bridge hammock is the first thing I notice. I have noticed that
      > > narrow conventional hammocks are more difficult to safely enter that
      > > wider conventional hammocks. Do the spreader bars somewhat opening up
      > > the hammock bed help with that?
      >
      > Dave, I responded to your question about entry/exit to the Bridge
      > Hammock. As I said there, for me at least, it has turned out to be a
      > non-issue. I was concerned when I started. And a little confused. Do I
      > get over the webbing or duck under the spreader bar or ...???
      >
      > After making the Hammock, getting in and out is as natural as any top
      > loader I have used. Since I enter/exit at the mid-point, the spreader
      > bars are far away and don't really enter into the procedure.
      >
      > The narrow mid-section, doesn't really matter. I find it enjoyable in
      > fact.
      >
      > I can sit cross-wise, i.e., webbing to webbing, in the hammock with my
      > back against one webbing and my legs hanging out over the opposite
      > webbing. I can sit up, almost upright, or I can lean way back. I find
      > it rather comfortable. I can also get entirely in the hammock, and sit
      > up with my legs laid out in front of me. Scott and David developed
      > methods for using the Hammock as a lounger, kind of like a Laz-y-Boy.
      > Both quite inventive.
      >

      > > And speaking of those wide spreader bars, whether they are dedicated
      > > poles or hiking poles, they present new issues besides the torque and
      > > tension on them and the hammock bed. I have used similar struts to
      > > experiment with hammocks and to attach two hammocks side by side to
      > > the same trees (http://tinyurl.com/2o7qu5). I don't believe the ones
      > > I used would be as high as the ones you have on your bridge hammock
      > > and I don't think they were as long. But I worried they were
      > > something that could potentially be a problem with tarp coverage,
      > > possibly snagging someone walking nearby, or poke a tarp when the
      > > hammocks swing or are pushed to one side. Certainly that is not a
      > > particularly difficult technical issue to resolve, but it is different
      > > than the customary backpacking hammocks.

> [...]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic