18085Re: Bridge Hammock ...is it cumfortable?

  • terry_and_pearl
    Sep 23, 2007

      > GrizzlyAdams,
      >
      > I couldn't get the photo link to work this morning but I think I have
      > seen the photos you refer too. You and I could probably get lost in
      > technical talk but most folks don't want to hear that, they just want
      > to know how it performs and compares relative to something they are
      > familiar with.
      >
      > Getting into and out of hammocks is a tricky proposition with all
      > hammocks and is something I get concerned with from time to time. You
      > have to pay attention to what you are doing, particularly the novice
      > hammock user or someone using underquilts, peapods or most any other
      > insulation as they do add some level of complexity to the process.
      > The narrow mid section that one would presumably first sit in on your
      > bridge hammock is the first thing I notice. I have noticed that
      > narrow conventional hammocks are more difficult to safely enter that
      > wider conventional hammocks. Do the spreader bars somewhat opening up
      > the hammock bed help with that?

      Dave, I responded to your question about entry/exit to the Bridge
      Hammock. As I said there, for me at least, it has turned out to be a
      non-issue. I was concerned when I started. And a little confused. Do I
      get over the webbing or duck under the spreader bar or ...???

      After making the Hammock, getting in and out is as natural as any top
      loader I have used. Since I enter/exit at the mid-point, the spreader
      bars are far away and don't really enter into the procedure.

      The narrow mid-section, doesn't really matter. I find it enjoyable in
      fact.

      I can sit cross-wise, i.e., webbing to webbing, in the hammock with my
      back against one webbing and my legs hanging out over the opposite
      webbing. I can sit up, almost upright, or I can lean way back. I find
      it rather comfortable. I can also get entirely in the hammock, and sit
      up with my legs laid out in front of me. Scott and David developed
      methods for using the Hammock as a lounger, kind of like a Laz-y-Boy.
      Both quite inventive.

      > And speaking of those wide spreader bars, whether they are dedicated
      > poles or hiking poles, they present new issues besides the torque and
      > tension on them and the hammock bed. I have used similar struts to
      > experiment with hammocks and to attach two hammocks side by side to
      > the same trees (http://tinyurl.com/2o7qu5). I don't believe the ones
      > I used would be as high as the ones you have on your bridge hammock
      > and I don't think they were as long. But I worried they were
      > something that could potentially be a problem with tarp coverage,
      > possibly snagging someone walking nearby, or poke a tarp when the
      > hammocks swing or are pushed to one side. Certainly that is not a
      > particularly difficult technical issue to resolve, but it is different
      > than the customary backpacking hammocks.

      Yes tarp coverage and interference between the pole ends and the tarp
      can be an issue. But I find the issue can be managed by how you hang
      the tarp and how high you hang the hammock. As for the spreader ends
      interfering with movement under the tarp. Again I have found it to be
      an issue that goes away with learning to use the hammock.

      When you moved from the ground to a hammock you had to learn new
      habits and ways of doing things. The same is true for the Bridge
      Hammock, just not as big a learning curve. For me, I set up the
      hammock and tarp. I then have my trekking poles setup as spreader
      bars. I then remove the poles with one end still attached to the
      hammock. The hammock then collapses down - no spread. Moving around
      under the tarp is then easier than with a Hennessy and the side tie
      outs. Maybe even easier than a Speer since the Bridge collapses down
      very narrow. Narrower than any Speer I have seen. Inserting the
      trekking poles as spreader bars just before entering for the night is
      accomplished in a matter of seconds. Night time calls just reverse the
      procedure. Inserting the trekking poles and taking them out is
      accomplished in seconds and with a little practice, it becomes second
      nature. At least it has worked that way for me.

      As far as the ends of the trekking poles tearing the tarp. This again
      was something I was concerned about also. It has turned out to be
      another non-issue for me. The carbide tips of my poles are covered
      with plastic which enables them to be used as spreader bars and the
      other end has a 1/2" diameter AL cylinder with rounded edges, but not
      pointed. Could the tarp material rub and eventually wear through? Yes,
      but the situation can be managed by learning slightly different
      techniques than those used with a conventional hammock.

      > The bridge hammock has some significant differences from what folks
      > are use to and I would think most folks are concerned with the
      > differences-- the tradeoffs if you will, both the positive ones, the
      > negative ones, and even the ones that are six of one versus half a
      > dozen of the other. Something laid out simple and brief to help them
      > understand just what it is and what it can do for them versus what it
      > isn't and what it can't do for them. And I know that is sometimes
      > difficult for technical folks involved in design specifics to do-- we
      > often have a hard time seeing the forest because of all the specific
      > trees we see.

      Yes - using the Bridge Hammock is different from a conventional
      hammock. Not as different as moving from a tent to a hammock, but
      different. For anybody that made the transition from the tent to a
      hammock, learning to use a Bridge should be a lot easier. A lot more
      common ground.

      For those who have never used a tent and are going straight to a
      hammock, then the learning curve for a Bridge is no worse than for any
      other hammock. They will probably have it easier than those who have
      used a conventional hammock since they won't have deeply rooted
      concepts of how a hammock is supposed to be. No habits to overcome.

      > Dave Womble
      > aka Youngblood 2000
      > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender and SnugFit Underquilt

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic