18000Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • rghickma
    Sep 8, 2007
      Deb,

      Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
      material choices, and the picture.

      I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
      provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
      materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
      this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
      medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
      decide). :)

      I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
      netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
      breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
      place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
      be breathable enough.

      I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
      a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
      fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
      as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
      Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

      Thanks again for taking the time to share.

      /Rodney

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@...> wrote:

      > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
      > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
      > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
      quilt
      > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
      years
      > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
      > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
      and
      > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
      > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
      top
      > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
      bottom
      > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
      > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
      > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
      think
      > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
      circumference
      > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
      > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
      clear.

      > DebW

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic