17991[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • mrbyer
    Sep 5 9:51 AM
      This is perfect Deb. As a beginner at making my own stuff I was
      hoping for to get some basic blueprints I could see. I am familiar
      with the term "dart" but do not really understand it. Also what type
      of insulation did you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@...> wrote:

      > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and
      had
      > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely
      love
      > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and
      sides.
      > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try
      this
      > link (http://good-
      times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).

      > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
      > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch
      darts
      > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter
      top
      > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave
      the
      > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit
      around
      > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam
      pad
      > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
      > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
      synthetic
      > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
      > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
      need a
      > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
      > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
      bring
      > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
      has
      > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
      > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
      > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
      >
      > DebW
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
      for
      > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
      > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
      can
      > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
      the
      > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
      Conversely,
      > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
      > >
      > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
      > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
      > >
      > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
      ripstop, and
      > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
      > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's
      and
      > > if
      > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help
      > > newbie
      > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.

      > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic