17990[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock bivy idea!

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Sep 5, 2007
      I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
      condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
      is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
      I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
      link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).

      The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
      bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
      in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
      fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
      bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
      the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
      in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
      excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
      insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
      top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
      sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
      weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
      an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
      proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
      repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
      windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@...> wrote:
      > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
      > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
      > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
      > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
      > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
      > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
      > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
      > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
      > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
      > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
      > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
      > if
      > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
      > newbie
      > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
      > > >
      > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

      > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
      > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic