17955Re: [Hammock Camping] Leaky hammock

    Aug 29, 2007
      yep... what ralph said. a lot of people (even light weight backpackers) get a bigger tarp.
      a silnylon tarp is lightest. speer hammocks sells them.

      it's a BIG help if you can hang the tarp side ways to the primary wind direction, so the side of the tarp will catch most of the wind & rain.

      hang the tarp lower (closer to the hammock) when needed. some folks will attach the tarp line to the tree BELOW the hammock support. it will be against the hammock, but when you get in the hammock, it will hang several inches lower, leaving a space between the hammock & the tarp. but the lower tarp will cover the hammock sides if it's blowing rain.

      be sure the tarp is centered over the hammock. if there's rain & wind, you may need to look at using something to provide additional coverage at one or both ends of the tarp.
      a rain jacket or an umbrella are a couple good options.

      and a rain diverter of some kind may be needed in heavy rain, because a surprising amount of water will be running down the sides of a tree in heavy rain, & some of that can make it's way down the hammock supports. but a cotton strip tied to the rope & hanging down will divert just about all of it down to the ground.

      let us know if you have more questions. hammocking in hard rain is very doable. matter of fact, there's no place i'd rather be than in my hammock when the rain's pouring down<g>.
      ...tim

      Debbie <dvanberk@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone

      I don't seem to have much of a chance to enter into any discussions
      lately too many trips, though I do read most of the e-mails. Good stuff!!

      I was guiding a trip on the 'West Coast Trail' off of Vancouver Island,
      BC, 2 weeks ago and for the first time I used my Hennessey hammock out
      there.
      I had used a Siam hammock before but was not happy with it. The
      Hennessey is more stable, though hanging out there does create its own
      issues. I will send pictures later.
      On the 5th night out at 52 km it poured with rain at 5am for over an
      hour. My hammock got soaked and I found myself running into one of my
      clients tents for shelter (not a good thing).. So I tightened everything
      down the next night as well as adjusted it as much as possible, well it
      rained again the next night and yes it leaked again not as bad and was
      able to get on my side enough that it did not get my sleeping bag.
      So now I am thinking of a bigger tarp or ANY suggestions would do.
      I cannot afford that to happen in the mountains at all. Not using my
      hammock would not be a good thing. I do have a Hennessey Ultra light

      Thanks
      Debbie in Calgary, Alberta, Canada