17919Re: [Hammock Camping] Giving Up

    Aug 9, 2007
      hopefuly yall can make it to hot springs (sept 14-16). i know of several that plan to be there.
      and hopefuly, it'll be cooler by then. ...tim

      Brona <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:
      We remember meeting you at Hot Springs. If you remember our little
      trailer and the red Toyota truck, well, you won't be seeing either
      again. And if you do see either, let us know. Better yet, tie them
      to the nearest tree.

      Hopefully this winter we will be able to get out again. Right now
      it is just too hot to even think about hitting any trail for us.

      Look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Hot Springs.
      Brona

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
      wrote:

      > really sorry to hear that brona.
      > i meet you at one of ed & karen's camp outs at hot springs last
      year.
      > i don't know what to say except that those that are supposed
      to be managing our resources, usually forget where their priorities
      are supposed to be.
      > but i hope you'll continue to take advantage of all the
      trails you can. ...tim

      > Brona wrote:
      > I have put off writing this for sometime now trying to decide
      just
      > what is the best course of action. (For those of you who don't
      > know, I have been in an arm wrestling match with the NPS to allow
      my
      > Registered Service Animals, which are goats, to be on the trail
      thus
      > allowing me access to the AT.)
      > The AT community has become somewhat of a family for me and hiking
      > on the AT - a passion. Yes, there are other trails but none like
      > the AT and it is sooooo close for me. Yes, there may be other
      > communities but none like the folks associated with the AT.
      > Everyone on this group is special.
      > It seems that the NPS has the upper, larger hand when it comes to
      > this arm wrestling match. I am out here all alone. There seems to
      > be no group, organization, lawyer, etc wishing to assist me. Even
      > the ACLU doesn't tackle this kind of thing! This is not a fight I
      > can fight alone. My health is too fragile. My time is too
      > valuable.
      > I am making the decision to spend my time quietly in the woods
      > somewhere else other than fighting a seemingly pointless, useless,
      > endless battle. I have no desire to be a poster child for this
      > battle.
      > What the NPS has done is illegal and a slap in the face for all
      > disabled people. I have asked for nothing more than to let me hike
      > the trail. What I ask the NPS for costs them no money or time. The
      > NPS did give me an alternative (which they legally have to do).
      > That is to allow the group size to increase so that I could have
      > other people carry my things for me. What an insult! Not to speak
      > of what additional people would do to the trail compared to my
      > service animals. And that act would also take away my independance
      > which the service animals provide. Even if I didn't prefer the
      > solitude of the trail, I can't afford to "hire" anyone to go with
      > me. Besides, not many people want to be on the trail during the
      > winter/colder months. I was also told by the NPS that I could not
      > be on the AT period but could be on the other trails that cross
      the
      > AT. This in effect is closing the entire AT park to me and that is
      > also illegal.
      > It would be great to be a "normal" person without the need for
      > Service Animals. To have the freedom to be able to go and do
      > without the extra baggage associated with being "imperfect". To be
      > able to do things "normal" people can do. But I am not. I am me
      > and this is what I have in my life and what I have to deal with.
      If