17765Hammock Basics?

  • steve_n0tu
    Jun 29, 2007
      I'm enticed to purchase a hammock! Been reading about them and a little
      confused about the condensation issue and the mirade of accessories and
      continued discussions on on pads, underquits and nests etc.

      Ok so once I have my hammock what else do I need to stay warm? And
      what's the deal on condensation? That word scares me as I have down
      bags! I've been a using a tent/tarp as a ground hugger for years. My
      normal setup for tent/tarp in CO backpacking down to about 30F is my
      30F down bag on top of a Prolite 3/4 foam pad. I use my bag half
      unzipped quilt style and sleep in silk tights (top and bottom) If it's
      gonna be really cool I add more layers of fleece (tops and bottoms)and
      ski hat. I don't normally sweat and tend to side sleep the best. But I
      think that's because on the ground back sleeping usually isn't to
      comfortable for me?

      The lightweight, quick setup and getting up the off the bumpy ground
      aspect of hanging between trees sounds kinda appealing! Can I adapt the
      gear I own now to 'hanging' or do I need another whole $$investment to
      outfit my self for hammocks? Are there any hammock tutorial sites
      around?

      Thanks, Steve
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic