17747[Hammock Camping] Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock

  • Sandy Kramer
    Jun 26, 2007
      Here's the Byer's of Maine Mosquito Traveler (has bug net, but no
      tarp) for $40. http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

      I was in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for a family wedding two
      weekends ago. They had complimentary Maine hammocks (with spreader
      bars) on the beach, so I naturally dove in.

      I was sooo uncomfortable. I kept thinking of this group and wanting
      to email "where's the sweet spot" on a spreader bar hammock? They
      are very flat.

      sandy in miami

      > mary... i've been sleeping in a hammock nightly for over 2 years
      now, so i had one handy to test a thought i had about your question.
      > normally people suggest having the foot end of the hammock a few
      inches higher than the head end simply because you will tend to find
      your largest body mass (the torso) in the center of the hammock,
      putting your feet in the small end of the hammock.
      > but in your case (wanting to sleep w/ the head slightly
      elevated) if you hang your hammock w/ the foot end maybe about one
      foot lower, your feet will be near the small end of the hammock, but
      your head is clearly higher. i just tried it.
      > i believe i could sleep just fine that way.
      > a couple other things...
      > 1)... the type hammocks that most people are finding most
      practical for camping these days are not the types w/ spreader bars
      on each end. you'll find that type far less stable. look in the
      picture gallery here for examples. better yet go to the speer
      hammock web site for lots of pictures & info.
      > ed is the owner of this yahoo group & a very nice & helpful
      guy. his real job just keeps him from taking part here as much as he
      would like<g>.
      > to use inside your family tent, the top loading style (or speer
      type) would be most appropriate. the hennessy hammocks have a
      permanently attached bug net, so the only way to get to your stuff
      (clothes, water, etc) would be to have it inside w/ you or get out of
      the hammock through a bottom entry slit.
      > 2)... of course you'll have to have a hammock stand. there are
      several available that you could buy, but a couple things to keep in
      mind are that they need to have a base that will be easy on your tent
      floor & it should be long enough to fit the hammock you buy.
      > there is one made by byer that i believe would fit the bill. i
      believe it even adjusts in length.
      > seems like it's about $89 or $99 bucks. they may sell that brand
      at some of the sporting good stores so you could pick it up & save
      the shipping.
      > and i believe you could hang the foot lower on that stand.
      > i'll try to get a few more details later unless you get to it
      before me.
      > there's another web site http://hammockforums.net where there
      is at least one active thread where people are discussing hammock
      stands. ...tim

      > Mary Neal <sisjake@...> wrote:
      >
      > We've used air mattresses in the past, that isn't really what I
      need. I
      > also have acid reflux and need to sleep in a semi-sitting position.
      I won't