17746Re: Looking for an inexpensive hammock

  • chetclock
    Jun 26, 2007
      Mary, you don't need to spend $80 or $90 on a hammock. Just go to a
      fabric store and buy a piece of ripstop nylon or polyester, approx 5
      foot wide and 11 feet long. There are various methods of attaching
      ropes or straps to the ends, with the simplest being to just tie a
      knot in each end, and then tie a hanging strap or rope inside the knot
      on each end. You'll have a simple, comfortable, inexpensive hammock in
      about 10 minutes. And if you elect to set it up outside the tent
      (which might be easier), a simple green poly tarp (8 x 10) works well
      and will cost you less than 10 bucks. It's an inexpensive way to try
      out a hammock, and it may be all you ever need.

      Chet

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Neal" <sisjake@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for an inexpensive hammock. We (three kids and I) are
      going on
      > a three week road camping trip to Alaska from Pennsylvania. I found
      out
      > this last weekend that my "older" bones cannot handle just a
      sleeping pad
      > anymore (I have a ruptured disk in my lower back). I am open for
      > suggestions as to what type of portable, folding hammock to get,
      space is at
      > a premium as we are travelling in a four-door Saturn. The hammock
      will be
      > put up inside the tent. I have looked at the one from Walmart, and the
      > Kelsyus. Any other suggestions?
      > Mary

      > Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative
      now.
      > It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic