17562Re: When there are no trees?

  • ptoddf
    Jun 6, 2007
      I'm eager to hear
      > from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
      > Should I take my hammock, or my tent?
      >
      > Bob

      Bob,

      I'd take my hammock, though I haven't done all the JMT yet. Did the
      High Sierra Trail to Whitney, both ways, and hammock was great all the
      way. Just camp at Crabtree Meadow, near the back country ranger
      station. No place to hang past that.

      I'll be doing the JMT from Tuolumne to Kearsarge Pass (Independence)
      later this summer, the section I haven't done. I'm definitely taking
      hammock only. Might have to camp a little lower a few nights to catch
      trees, or use my wire rope slings to hang off rocks above treeline.

      Have a great hike. The Sierra is the best. Todd in CC.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic