17549Re: [Hammock Camping] Buried post depth

    Jun 4, 2007
      like the others said, being below the frost line is some thing to consider.
      but if there is going to be a top rail of sorts (as i would imagine w/ a pergola) pulling to the center shouldn't be much of a problem, but when you sway side to side, that will put quite a bit of force on the posts.
      like already said, i would over do it & have nothing to be concerned about.
      seems like they say bury fence posts 1/3 of it's length. ...tim

      Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote:
      I'm going to be building a pergola out back and I might need to hang
      from some of the posts.
      So if I'm going to be burying a 4X4 post and filling with concrete,
      will anything over a foot be plenty strong? The posts aren't going to
      have to hold much weight in the way of lumber, so it's just the
      strength for hammocking that I'm concerned about.
      Any other advice?
      Thanks
      Scott