17506Re: Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

    May 26, 2007
      When I used a Hennessy Hammock, I learned to do what Rosaleen said--
      don't hang it so taut to begin with. It will stretch a lot less that
      way and you can just hang it higher so you can live with the overnight
      stretch, I suggest allowing for 6 to 8 inches of drop overnight. I
      would be careful about experimenting with different types of knots and
      suggest you don't. Certain types of ropes don't release easily the
      next morning with cinching knots that have sharp turns under heavy
      load and some of the models of Hennessy Hammocks have ropes like that.
      The figure 8 works well with those ropes... don't overlook how nice
      it is to be able to untie the hammock from the tree in the morning. <grin>

      Dave

      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

      > Catherine-
      >
      > You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't
      had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one
      of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

      > You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly,
      right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is
      basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line
      is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part
      of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented,
      is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.