17422Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

    May 8, 2007
      With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
      set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
      larger hammocks.

      What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
      difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
      10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
      restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
      the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
      same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
      is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
      sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
      difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
      usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
      squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
      support.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

      > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
      > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
      > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
      >
      > gerzson
      >

      > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
      > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
      > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
      > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
      > >
      > > Jamie in AZ
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

      > > bomber
      > > >
      > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
      > > >
      > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
      > > 010108002354
      > > > (I am inside here)
      > > >
      > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
      > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
      > > work
      > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
      > > bag is
      > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
      > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
      > > torso
      > > > area where I could reach).
      > > >
      > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
      > > put
      > > > it over me.
      > > >
      > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
      > > for
      > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
      > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
      > > >
      > > > gerzson
      > > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic