17358Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock camping without bottom insulation

  • Johan van Dijk
    Apr 12 10:05 AM
      André,

      I have camped in my hammock in mostly warm/hot (and humid) temps. Coming
      from Holland I grew accustomed to the warmer temps and I was comfy mostly
      sleeping on top of a blanket. Or a combination of 2 sarongs underneath me.

      Last weekend I slept in Luxembourgh Ardennes while appearantly it had been a
      bit below zero. My compadres had some ice on there t*nts/bags while I was
      comfy and toasty in my HH with a No Sniveler underquilt, a CC pad IN my
      sleeping bag.

      So I reckon you will need some form of under isolation... but try what will
      work for you. Hee my neigbours think I am weird too when experimenting in
      the backyard. Better to make mistakes there then ruining a weekend hike.

      Just my 2 neighbourly cents ;-)

      Grtz Johan

      On 4/12/07, André Corterier <andre.corterier@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > somehow I've never had a chance to hammock camp when it was really,
      > really warm. But now I'm planning a 10-day throughhike of the
      > Rheinsteig here in Germany and as it'll be late June or early July,
      > chances are it will be *warm*.
      >
      > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
      > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.) I
      > can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as I'm
      > looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm looking
      > to go as lightweight as possible.
      >
      > André

      mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
      email: gonewalkabout2003@...