17346Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock camping without bottom insulation

    Apr 12, 2007
      When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not comfortable
      without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the cooling
      breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then I get
      up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience exactly
      once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.

      Rick

      André Corterier wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > somehow I've never had a chance to hammock camp when it was really,
      > really warm. But now I'm planning a 10-day throughhike of the
      > Rheinsteig here in Germany and as it'll be late June or early July,
      > chances are it will be *warm*.
      >
      > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
      > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.) I
      > can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as I'm
      > looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm looking
      > to go as lightweight as possible.
      >
      > André

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)