1733Re: The 4 Pocket Bugnet

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Jun 11, 2003
      I'm back from 3 1/2 days on the southern NH AT, Rt. 25C to Hanover.
      Spent 2 nights in the hammock and the new bugnet worked out fine.
      Since the bugnet is attached directly to the trees, you have to
      be careful to reattach the vecro end strips after you are in the
      hammock and stretch the webbing. Spend one night in a very buggy
      area, and I stayed bug-free, but sometimes heard the mosquitoes
      buzzing below the hammock. I slept in a shelter one night with only
      a Z-rest under me, and couldn't wait to get up in the morning, the
      hard shelter floor was so uncomfortable. The hammock nights I slept
      much better and later.

      Deb

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > Just posted a picture (on this site under DebW) of the bugnet I made
      > for my Speer Hammock. It has the bugnetting sewn to a ridgeline of 5/8
      > inch grossgrain ribbon. I attach the bugnet to the trees above the
      > hammock. It has velcro on the ends to seal around the hammock. The
      > bottom hangs free with 4 pockets for adding weights. It's made with
      > a single width of material and I wish it was a few inches longer. I
      > have to mount it low enough that the pockets are below the place where
      > the hammock sides contact the netting, otherwise gaps develop around
      > the pockets when bulky objects are inserted and bugs may gain access.
      > I have yet to test the bugproofness of the design in very buggy
      > conditions, but so far it seems OK. The pockets can be stuffed with
      > stones, items from your pack (eg. pocketknife), or items you want
      > handy at night (eg. headlamp). This bugnetting should get a good test
      > week after next as I'll be backpacking in NH and VT.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic