17314Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Apr 10, 2007
      Scott,

      I'm not sure what you mean by a weather shield tarp but whatever that
      is I haven't thought of making a dual use anything with a poncho. I
      didn't like a poncho when I tried using one. I started out with one
      on my AT thru hike and switched to a light weight rain suit about a
      quarter of the way through my hike. I think I had one that was a
      little too long and it would be a problem on steep climbs (I couldn't
      always see what I was stepping on unless I grabbed the poncho like you
      see women grabbing long skirts going up/down stairs and I would
      sometimes step on the poncho itself) in addition to the problems
      ponchos have on windy days. I also found it a PIA to get snacks and
      such out of my pack and then try to get the poncho back on and stay
      dry etc. Some times it rains all day on the trail, you don't get to
      call for a 5 minute time out to get your stuff in order. It can all
      be worked out though because plenty of people do it with a poncho, it
      just didn't work well for me.

      I like having separate rain protection for me, my pack and as my
      shelter. It can rain for long periods of time and those times can be
      discouraging enough without having rain protection when you need it,
      you can't count on waiting the rain out to eat or dig a cat hole, etc,
      life has to go on. Heck, I even carry a small umbrella to use for
      rain protection as well as wind protection or even as a sun shade at
      times.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > I agree with you entirely, esp. wrt to tradeoffs we have to make. Now,
      > in the theme of multiple uses for our gear, have you considered making
      > a weather shield tarp to also serve as a poncho/cape? Or, is that
      > going too far?
      >
      > Scott

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic