17297Re: weather shield vs. larger tarp

    Apr 9, 2007

      It is tight that way but I usually leave that tarp open on the leeward
      side for access and that gives me some room to work with. How much
      room you have and where it is at depends on how everything is hung--
      the hammock and the tarp, as well as the size of the tarp in relation
      to the size of the hammock. I can usually set it up where I can get
      on a diagonal without touching the tarp, but even if I am touching the
      walls of the tarp I am much better off than not having the tarp to
      block the wind at all.

      Using a bigger tarp with more tie-outs alleviates that but there are
      some things about that that you may not like either. I have used a
      hammock tarptent before on several winter trips over the years. Setup
      time and complexity, site selection and weight are the ones that come
      to mind that you might not like. You might be surprised at the
      difference weather and conditions make when you setup a more complex
      structure. Often you have to do a lot of it with no gloves or very
      light weight gloves and relatively simple task that you can do in
      minutes in your backyard in nice conditions can become difficult and
      time consuming tasks in foul weather. I always felt that on
      backpacking trips the steep slopes on the leeward side in coves was
      the best hammock sites in cold weather and the hammock tarptent I made
      was more difficult to setup on steep sloped ground. And the slope
      negated much of its advantage over the smaller tarp that you saw in
      the picture. All the gear and equipment we use have trade offs, we
      just have to decide which ones suit us best for the range of
      conditions we expect.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:
      > Dave,
      > The picture of your tarp closed up tight for bad weather looks
      > effective. But, are you able to sleep on a diagonal in that
      > configuration? It seems like you would be poking into the tarp sides
      > enough to create a risk of cold spots.
      > Scott
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It is my opinion that a rectangular shaped tarp provides more
      > > protection from wind, rain and bad weather than tarps that can be
      > > visualized as rectangular tarps with portions of the ends cut off, ie
      > > diamond shaped or hex shaped. These tarps trade off coverage and
      > > flexibility for lighter weight and a setup that sometimes requires
      > > less stakes and guylines.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic