17260Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Beeswax

  • Ralph Oborn
    Apr 6, 2007
      On 4/6/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > "Burning wood has a net neutral effect on C02"
      >
      > NET NEUTRAL, that is news to me. Anything I ever read stated burning
      > wood creates Co2 and is bad for the environment. Do you have a
      > reference for this information? Thanks.

      The idea is that wood in the forest (especially dead downed forest litter)
      will decompose soon anyway and release most of it's carbon as CO2 into the
      environment. Unlike fossil fuels that would have stayed intact in the ground
      from geological times (Hence: fossil fuels).

      Which is why I am skeptical about the benefit of planting trees to tie up
      carbon, within a few decades any carbon pulled from the atmosphere will be
      returned anyway.

      Ralph Oborn