17174Re: [Hammock Camping] Materials for my next ZHammock

    Mar 28 6:52 AM
      thomas... check out this site for instructions on making a cat tarp for a hammock. ...tim
      http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/

      Thomas Pond <thomaslpond@...> wrote:
      I've been bitten by the hammock bug!

      I bought a new HH and right after I bought it I joing this group. Which
      quickly took me to Risk's website. WOW!

      I was so excited I went out and bought some Ripstop nylon at a local
      fabric shop. I used the ZHammock design but I only left two openings
      between the two layers (they are on opposite corners so always on my
      left when I wake up in the hammock). All in, I think that hammock came
      to 2 lbs including the snake skins and 10 yards of Polyprop webbing. I
      really like the design and I sewed it with no problems (well - I did
      change course once to accomodate an errant line of stiching....).

      With all that in mind, I have 3 questions:

      1. In looking for cheap lighter material, I came across $4.00 1.5 oz
      ripstop nylon at KiteBuilders.com
      466955028aab58c1e0cd7ba4f598d8> . Is this material ok for a hammock?
      It's a lot cheaper than anything else I've seen.
      2. looking at OwareUSA.com and saw that they
      have Cuben Fiber scraps. the pieces are 9' long tapering from 12.5" to
      3". Is it a serious sign of my sickness that when I saw that I
      imediately thought of (somewhat realistic looking) Cuben Fiber Snake
      skins?
      3. For a tarp for my next hammock, I'm thinking of building a
      SixMoonDesigns NightWing
      sans bug
      netting. This is really a long hex tarp with a catenary cuve sewn in
      the ridge line. At 10' long on the ridge line, and the catenary design
      I'm hoping I might find a nice quiet tarp to hang under - and if I need
      to sleep on the ground, the tarp still looks easy to set up. Has anyone
      used this tarp with a hammock?

      Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

      Thank you!