171Re: Forrest Mounteering, Ltd Hammock

  • Don Ladigin <dladigin@backpacker.com>
    Jan 16, 2003
      "Ed Speer <info@s...>" <info@s...> wrote:
      > I just met a new hammock user today and he loaned me his 15-year-
      >old
      > hammock to see what I think of it. It was made by Forrest
      > Mounteering, Ltd of Denver CO, which is apparently now out of
      > business. It is a single-point hammock!--it hangs from one central
      > point and 6 straps attach to the hammock sides for support. It
      > cradles your body somewhat like a full-body sling. It comes with a
      > seperate rain cover and all stuffs into a small bag. ..........
      > .........The Forrest hammock is light weight enough to be
      > suitable for backpacking; especiall if made out of the newer nylon
      > fabrics! (I'm going to try it--will let you know how it goes).
      > Weight of original: Hammock--1.9 lbs; Rain cover--1.4 lb. I suspect
      > can make one under 1.5 lbs!
      >
      > Does anyone recognize this hammock or anything similar? I don't
      think
      > it's still being made....Ed

      Ed,

      Forrest Mountaineering was still making rock climbing stuff in 1999,
      so they may still be in business. They had novel and cutting-edge-of-
      progress products for climbers back when hammocks were common
      bivouacs for big-wall multi-day Yosemite climbs.

      Their address is (was?) Forrest Mountaineering 840 Bannock St,
      Denver, CO Best, Don L.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic