17064Re: [Hammock Camping] [Fwd: Re: changing rooms - How to Tie a Lungi] - photos posted

  • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
    Mar 8, 2007
      Hi everybody!
      eveybody is talking about the the lungi. Why not use the "malong" of the
      maaranao tribe of southern Philippines instead. Its a piece of cloth (a tube in
      fact)very similar to the lungi the only difference is that its 6 to 8 ft long.
      You can use it as a blanket, towel, kilt, etc. The maranao tribesmen even made
      a dance of the 101 ways to use the malong. They even use for it
      sunshade, privacy curtain, temporary hammock for infants, blanket, towel etc.
      Its very
      practical and the only difference with the lungi is the length. In the southern
      philippines it is usually made of
      cotton although some malong used by the local "royalty" are made of silk,
      good quality cotton, or indonesian "batik". Anyway just follow the instruction
      on how to make a lungi but add a few ft. just enough to cover you from head to
      foot. I once saw a basketball team of maranao tribesmen attired in malong (worn
      like a kilt) and jersey.One member of the team even took a siesta break by
      untying his malong and extending it full length to cover his head. All i could
      say is that the game was "unique" and "interesting." Women can wear the malong
      too by tying it up at armpit level or tying a knot above the right or left
      shoulder.

      Rene

      Quoting ij santiago <snoopylives1@...>:

      > can't sew to safe my life!!!!!
      >
      > On 3/8/07, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sounds like any fabric store or the fabric department in your favorite
      > > big
      > > box store would have one - they just don't know it. Buy a couple yards of
      > > thin cotton that pleases your eye and sew the ends together making a tube.
      > > You can even try on the fabric to find the right amount to buy.
      > >
      > > But don't believe me, I'm the one who started this thread. One of the
      > > experts will no doubt chime in.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Carey

      Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
      Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic