16936RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: silnylon misting through

  • michael thomas
    Feb 17, 2007
      i have had nylon tarps and such mist in very heavy down pours...if i may
      here is a simple test to see if your tarp will mist under heavy down
      pour....take your tarp and set it up in a pup tent set( or some call it a
      "A" set)..then under neith the tarp...place a sheet of card board( large box
      opend up will do... be sure to raise it up on something so when the ground
      gets wet underneith the cardboard will be dry).. with several strips of
      toilet paper on it..the idea is to cover a 2ft x 2ft area....now from the
      out side with a garden hose and a spray head shoot the tarp with a high
      pressure blast for say 2 min be sure to move the spray around as you do this
      ...if ANY spray comes thru it will show on the tissue...and since there is
      no condinsation present it has to be mist thru.. hope this helps...safe
      journeys

      >From: "quiltpatti" <quiltbinder@...>
      >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: silnylon misting through
      >Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:58:01 -0000
      >
      >Hi all,
      >I've experienced a mist under my silnylon hammock fly when it's
      >raining. I hasn't been enough moisture to cause a problem though. Some
      >people think it's not rain coming through, but rain knocking the
      >moisture condensation off the underside of the fly. Moisture certainly
      >condenses there, even when it's not raining. I used to use a urethane
      >coated fly, but don't remember if I was misted then or not. Maybe
      >someone else who has slept under urethane flys in the rain (and has a
      >better memory) could enlighten us.
      >Patti
      >
      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > i just talked to the folks at msr and the guy was telling me that the
      > > weave of the fabric can open up in heavy wind and allow mist to pass
      > > through. has anyone experienced this? how windy was it? how much
      > > moisture came through etc?...Brandon

      Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more´┐Ż.then map the best route!