16854Re: parachute fabric

  • quiltpatti
    Feb 7, 2007
      Thanks for the info Gregg,

      I was just wondering if that parachute fabric at 1.1 oz was somehow
      special and stronger than 1.1oz ripstop. I don't think I want to try
      a silnylon hammock. I'm afraid it would not be breathable enough
      esp. in warm weather. I was just wondering if anyone had any
      scientific or engieering data on the stength of different fabrics,
      including also the silk habotai that others have used. My current
      single layer hammock of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop weighs 9.2 oz including
      the ropes. A double hammock of lighter material would be no
      improvement in wgt. 8mm silk should weigh about 1.03 oz/sq yd and
      10mm 1.28 oz. With the recent post(#16843) of the silk hammock
      failing, I'm hesitant to be the next silk hammock tester by trial
      and error:(.

      Patti

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg <gspoerin@...> wrote:

      > Posted by: "quiltpatti" quiltbinder@...
      > <mailto:quiltbinder@...?Subject=%20Re%3Aparachute%20fabric>
      > quiltpatti <http://profiles.yahoo.com/quiltpatti>
      >

      > Sun Feb 4, 2007 9:25 pm (PST)
      >
      > So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
      > enough for use as a hammock?
      > Patti
      >

      > I have a Speer type single layer silnylon (1.3oz coated) that I
      have
      > made and have been using for some time now with no sign of
      failure. I
      > weigh 195, 6'-3" . I did the hammock experimentally with
      Hennessy type