      From: renejosejpadro <cass-rjp@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 10:05:02 AM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Nylon Taffeta fabric available in SE Asia

      Hi!

      I read in the archives that "Brindon_john" was asking for suitable

      materials for camping hammock in tropics. I lived in the Phillipines

      and have been making camping hammocks for several months now (speer

      type). The material i used for hammock body is nylon taffeta. It is

      not a "rip-stop" type. There are no reinforcing strands that are found

      in rip-stop nylon but you can remedy this by using two layers for your

      hammock.It's cheap, about PhP50 per meter@ 1.5m width (thats about 1

      usUS$). The material is quite strong, breathable, and does not stretch

      (if layered). Dries fast too. Ive seen a hammock using this materials

      (in camo color) being sold by a military contractor in the Island of

      Mindanao (remember the Abu Sayaff?). If it is of interest to anybody,

      the communist rebels in the philippines are using home made hammocks

      out of ricesack for many years now. A cheap waterproof/water repellent

      material for rainfly/tarp is also available known locally as

      waterproof tafetta. Usually this material comes in a solid color with

      silver or gray flipside (cheap, Php65 or US$1.10 per meter). Ive been

      using hammocks and rainfly made out of this material for many months

      now (even during tropical downpour)and found them strong and reliable

      for use in tropical climates.

      hope to hear from you!

      Rene

      <!--