16827Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Failures

  • Bill Thomas
    Feb 5, 2007
      Thanks for the suggestions.

      BTW I weigh 175#. Very well it may be that I've been pushing off
      with my sock heels to move up in the hammock that may have
      overstessed the fabric. Curriously, two of the failures occured on
      first night on the trail, first on the Quachita then on the Colorado
      trail. So, I just converted to being a ground sleeper with my K-mart
      blue pad and continued on. What was puzzling was what that the
      failures occured with low usage <10 nights. Probably, I just need to
      stick with a heavier material.

      Bill Thomas

      > only possibilities i can think of are that maybe even the 1st two
      fabrics were even thinner, lighter fabrics than you thought.
      > the 1.2 is pushing it for sure if you just used one layer.
      > maybe you were unfortunate enough to get fabrics that had weak
      spots from when they were made. that is puzzling.
      > do you raise up on your elbows when getting out or moving around
      in the hammock?
      > also, what is your weight?
      >
      > Bill Thomas <hamish54@...> wrote:
      > Thank you to all of the good ideas & info from the groups
      members.

      > I need ideas on possible failure causes of 3 hammocks I made. The
      first
      > one was made of 1.8 oz ripstop, second a Wally World $1/yd
      polyester
      > muslin, and 3rd was of 1.2 ripstop nylon. All were based on
      Speer's