16817Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Failures

    Feb 5, 2007
      only possibilities i can think of are that maybe even the 1st two fabrics were even thinner, lighter fabrics than you thought.
      the 1.2 is pushing it for sure if you just used one layer.
      maybe you were unfortunate enough to get fabrics that had weak spots from when they were made. that is puzzling.
      do you raise up on your elbows when getting out or moving around in the hammock?
      also, what is your weight?

      Bill Thomas <hamish54@...> wrote:
      Thank you to all of the good ideas & info from the groups members.

      I need ideas on possible failure causes of 3 hammocks I made. The first
      one was made of 1.8 oz ripstop, second a Wally World $1/yd polyester
      muslin, and 3rd was of 1.2 ripstop nylon. All were based on Speer's
      design except instead of knotting the ends, they were gathered and
      frapped to form a loop as the HH hammocks are. The spectra suspension
      cord was tied to the loop. All of the failures were at the foot end of
      the hammocks from 10" to 2' from the end. What's puzzling is that the
      most use any of them had was about 10 nights, they weren't left exposed
      to the sum, and I always remove my shoes before laying down. They were
      stored in snakeskins inside. Currently I'm using a travel hammock with
      no problems but would like to resolve my failure problems to make my

      Bill T.

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...