16801Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvec

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Feb 3, 2007
      Washing may affect water permeability (i.e. increase it), but it remains
      low-linting, puncture resistent, and smooth. I've noticed a slight
      fraying of the fibers, but they don't pill off the 'fabric.'

      What washing does do is greatly improve packability (as it squashes down
      really compact really easily) and greatly reduces noise (now about the
      same as nylon and silnylon). I put it in a top-loading washing machine
      with central agitator and followed the Tyvek washing directions at
      TarpTent.com: cold water, no soap. I let it go through a full wash:
      wash and spin and rinse and spin.

      I used the Tyvek to make a hammock under cover. I folded the ends over
      2-3 cm and used a heavy needle to punch holes through these two layers
      (that was work) to thread nylon string through to cinch the ends and to
      hang it under my hammock. I made sure the holes were 2-3 cm apart.

      My husband is using Tyvek as a ground cloth. One of these days we'll
      report on it's efficacy as protection against bamboo.

      CL

      Rick wrote:
      > BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
      > hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
      > maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
      > holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
      > a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)
      >
      > For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
      > packs very badly.
      >
      > I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
      > was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
      > was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.
      >
      > Risk

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic