16715Re: [Hammock Camping] dayhike Sunday

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Jan 19, 2007
      No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both,
      either separately or together, can be real downers.

      Maybe long-distance hikers should take a look at the literature on
      culture shock... Spending a night or two in town can give you a small
      holiday back into your original culture: hot baths, clean clothes,
      aircon, and long phone calls to loved ones.

      marta_clark wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
      > wrote:
      >> So, what are the rules?
      >> CL
      > They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."
      > Two of the biggies are:
      > -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
      > -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
      > town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
      > and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
      > hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic