16687Re: Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

  • Rosalind Suit
    Jan 8, 2007
      Just returned to Maryland from Dahlonega....but wanted to post greetings to those of you hammock hangers whom I met there...Ed and Karen (for the second time), Youngblood, and Suess....sorry not to have had more time to converse and visit and learn more. As someone said, it was more than enough in all that rain and air-moisture to get oneself fed, and into something somewhat dry to sleep in....and I was abed by 9. The 3 SOBO's were deep into celebration---and all was fine until the after midnight party arrived and wanted to swing hammocks after begging at shelter and tents for alcohol, MJ, or drugs.....I had to get out of a swinging bed and confront them before I could reset my stakes for the flapping rainfly. Not a nice beginning to the new year....except, being there at all was wonderful. Got down to the parking lot about 10 AM....wonderful sunshine. There I saw Hikernutt and Tim, whom I met at the shelter the day before, but who decamped late at night to their vehicle from all the noise/confusion of the celebrators. They, Hikernutt and Tim, blessings on them, were headed back up to the shelter from the parking lot with trash bags to pick up....knowing that the night's festivities had left a sight not-to-behold-with-smiles. Thanks, Hikernutt and Tim. As for the rest of the day, I spent it drying out at my sister's in Dahlonega, never thinking that the 9AM breakfast at Smith House would be continuing when I rolled into town about 11. Another year !! Smith House is a fine place. One of these days I'll make a spring campout?? Still have hammock issues to solve. But it's a wonderful night's sleep. Thinking about heading up to the PA Ruck....

      Rosie
      mdhiker