16661Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

    Jan 3, 2007
      I was told that Brain and Tom put some fire wood under the shelter
      for us and decided not to stick around all day in the rain. Wise
      choice. I called Ed on my way up there to make sure he was still
      going. Like I told him, I felt foolish heading out to the mountains
      in the rain when it was suppose to rain for a long, long time...
      usually you get the heck out of the mountains in those conditions. I
      stayed dry under my tarp from the rain and it was some serious rain,
      but the moving fog wet everything for a while but the fog eventually
      lifted and my hammock and insulation was dry by morning. My hammock
      and insulation has the good DWR so that was just a nuisance. My new
      rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
      that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
      longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
      rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
      model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
      never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

      Dave