1666Re: Hammock Camping Double Bottom 1.1oz ripstop prototype

    Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Ed,

      I believe it was you I learned from that if one puts one end of the
      hammock up about 4-6 inches and the feet are put at that end, it
      solves the problem of sliding down in the hammock... That and I try,
      when it is necessary to pull my head toward the head end, to pull
      from the far side of the knot instead of from the edges of the
      hammock... The failure I had of the white 1.9 oz hammock was of this
      edge, and it ended up ripping about 3-4 inches before I discovered it.

      As to the little tear of the bug net... I had really short
      fingernails, but an edge must have been a little sharp. When I
      pulled on the quilt, it slit the bug net. Tonight I was able to
      repair that little rip with the zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine.

      I first tried to repair same with a little patch of ripstop glued to
      the bugnet with superglue... Don't try this. the glue does not
      stick to bug net at all... however it does stick to fingers when you
      try to get the bug net to stick!

      > Interesting Rick, I now have about 3,500 hours in my 1.9 oz/sq yd
      > ripstop hammock with only slight damage along the outter edges at
      each
      > end where some small 0.1-0.5" rips occur. I've now determined that
      > these are due to my repeatedly grabbing the edges of the hammock
      there
      > to pull myself back to the center of the hammock--ie, I sometimes
      slide
      > toward the foot end of the hammock during the night and then grab
      the
      > sides near the head end to pull myself back to center. Apparently
      my
      > fingernails cause small tears in the fabric. However, the hammock
      is
      > still quite functionable and I see no reason I can't get 4,000
      hours or
      > even more. The bugnet, velcro, polypro straps, etc are all showing
      no
      > wear or damage.
      >
      > People with long fingernails may need to exercise extra caution in a
      > hammock! ...Ed

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05

      065843:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
      mq
      > so=60164784&partid=3170658>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=978118019>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic