16622RE: [Hammock Camping] No trees

  • Carey Parks
    Dec 25, 2006
      It's going to have to be a really big rock, or a three foot piece of rebar
      driven into the asphalt. Check Yougbloods force calculation spreadsheet at
      in the files section at:

      It will tell you how much force it will have to take. It's more than most
      people think (or is that hope?)

      Also study up and practice hanging it from one fixed pole and one free pole.
      All you need is a good anchor on the line at the ground on the free pole
      end. I could imagine this working if you have a sissy bar that can hold the
      "fixed" end (maybe the bar just holds the line up and you anchor the the
      head?) and you could tie the rope of the free end to a bush at ground level
      so you are using the root system more than the trunk etc. But you'll have to
      be aware of the forces and angles lest you and the bike both go plop. Check
      Risk's rig of a one-ended hang at:

      http://www.imrisk.com/

      It's there someplace.

      Cheers,