16476[Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Dec 6, 2006
      Tim,

      Just a quick response as I just saw you post and I am heading out the
      door for lunch, but the first think I would do different is to
      standardize on the hammock fabric so I knew what it was and could
      characterize how much stretch it has because if you are going to attach
      some insulation to it, you must allow for that stretch. Heck, even if
      you don't attach the insulation directly to the body of the hammock I
      would want to know how much it stretched in order to come up with a
      suspension system that allowed for that amount of stretch. I have been
      very pleased with the 1.9 oz rip stop nylon fabric with DWR that I find
      at my local fabric shops. It is what Ed recommended in his book and I
      think he still uses it for his A model hammocks. (In looking over his
      web site recently, I see he now offers it for sell at a very good
      price... I question his 65" width on it as what I keep seeing at my
      local fabric stores is 60-62", I believe. The 65" width is what I
      typically have seen for 1.1 oz RSN and silnylon.)

      Dave
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic