16475Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Dec 6, 2006
      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

      I'm sorry, I guess I'm going to be difficult . I can't figure
      out enough of the specifics of your version 1 to comment so I'll
      throw out a bunch of questions and see if it leads to anything.

      Is the hammock fabric 1.9 oz rip stop nylon (RSN) or is it 1.1 RSN or
      is it some other material and is it calendered and/or have a DWR
      ### the fabric is from the $1.00 bin & i belive it came out to over 2 ozs per sq yard. i don`t think it has any treatment, but it has a soft feel & look that reminds me of parichute material.

      Is the down contained in one large compartment like Rick's
      warm hammock or does it have several baffled chambers along the lines
      of what Jeff was doing at one time?
      ###if you look at the ist color drawing, i edited the caption to say version one (v1).
      that`s how i did it, w/ three horisonal compartments going from end to end.

      What are the dimensions of the
      hammock, the insulation and the dimensions where the shell attaches
      to the hammock?
      ###the hammock is 10' x 50".
      the side baffles are sewn at the top edges & they are sewn to the bottom compatment 13" below the top. the bottom compartment is sewn at both top edges of the hammock body. all three compartments are 8' long & sewn across the hammock body about one foot from the hammock ends.
      i don`t remember the demintions of the three shell parts that formed the three compartments. i just made them a fair amount larger. some parts i probably made more than large enough, & other parts i did not make large enough.
      i used 3ozs of ed`s 900 down in each compartment for a total of 9ozs.

      Some tougher questions that you may not know and I
      may not know what difference it makes either: what size needle (and
      was it a universal or ball point),
      ### the needle is a 80/12 sharps. i had already used it for a while & probably should change needles more offten from what i`ve been told.

      what type of thread did you use
      (polyester, nylon, cotton, etc.) and do you have any idea of the
      thread thickness, diameter, etc?
      ### the thread is for embrodery i was told... FUJIX KING STAR (brand), 120d/2 (no.40). pollyester i belive.

      In photo 1 of 6, "rip across shell attachment seen from inside", I
      can see a zigzag stitch but it doesn't appear that the tear is at the
      stitching, although it seems that it would have started at the
      stitching somewhere. And it doesn't look like the hammock fabric is
      a rip stop material. Are those observations correct?

      ### the rip started on the zigzag stich, but vered of of it after a few inches.
      nope, not rip stop.

      what i have learned from that experiment is that when using large compartments that form a wedge shape, some of the down is going to find it`s way into the small places & be traped & compressed, therfore useless.
      also that down is so light & fluffy that even the weight of the shell (which was 1.1 ripstop by the way) seems to lay heavy on the down when trying to use those large compartments. i belive to get the most insulation from the down, smaller compartments w/ baffles will provide better structure & alow the down to retain it`s loft better & not get smushed in small places.
      i appreciate your help dave. ...tim