16453Re: Built my dream hammock

  • teblum
    Nov 29, 2006
      -Okay, guys. I'm always ready to try new stuff.

      Re. the double sheet bend.

      Is the "larger line" the bunched up hammock end itself?

      If so, I got it.

      Also I got it re. the slipped double bend part. That's a good tip.
      Don't need the bos'n spike near as often with that veriation.

      Tom

      - In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
      > > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
      > > easy.
      >
      > Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
      > of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
      > over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
      > as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
      > (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
      > hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
      > version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
      > geeks out there).
      >
      > I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
      > untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
      > it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
      > doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
      > up under loads.
      >
      > Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
      > Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
      > one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.
      >
      > Jonas

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic