16452Re: Built my dream hammock

  • jonas4321
    Nov 29, 2006

      > before bending the hammock to tie, try pulling the sides an inch or so
      > tighter than the middle. The double sheet bend makes experimentation
      > easy.

      Do yourself a favor and make your double sheet bends slipped (instead
      of sending the end of the webbing through the second time, fold it
      over and put a loop through). This will make it lots easier to untie
      as you experiment, or if you want to wash your hammock, or dry it, or
      (insert personal reason here). After you've spent a few nights in the
      hammock, any knot you have tied there will be pretty snug. The slipped
      version gives you an easier 'undo' feature (CTRL-Z for you Windows
      geeks out there).

      I do gotta echo the choice of a double sheet bend, it's easier to
      untie then whipping. To me, it's also easier to feel like I can trust
      it not to come undone, unlike whipping, which depends on my skill at
      doing it tight enough. One nice thing about bends is that they tighten
      up under loads.

      Pics of the slipped double sheet bend are under Jonas4321 in the
      Photos section. Ignore the fact that I attach a loop, you can attach
      one end of your webbing to the hammock the same way.

      Jonas
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic