16433RE: [Hammock Camping] Backpack Question

    Nov 27, 2006
      Some people arrange their load so efficiently that when they're set up there's nothing in their backpack. In that case, it can be extra insulation for your feet.

      Myself, I usually leave it hanging on a carabiner I've corded to a tree, where it's at a handier height to reach into. When rain starts, I just sling it underneath my hammock on the ground, or maybe on top of, or wrapped in, my poncho or a trash bag.

      If I'm going out on day two of a three-day downpour (i.e. when I know the ground will be wet) I take a net hammock or other lightweight hammock to sling below my actual hammock to hold gear.

      Bear