1636Re: I need help!!

    Jun 1, 2003
      I tried to post a reply to this earlier today but I have not seen it
      come up yet, so...I'll try again.

      Can you give us some additional information? What type of hammock
      and what size rain fly? Is the rain fly attached to the ridgeline of
      the hammock? Do you use any elastic shockcord to attach the rain
      fly? Why do you think that the rain fly was "flapping" instead of
      staying taunt?

      The reasons for the questions about the ridgeline and shockcord are
      basically that rainflys attached to hammock ridgelines have an
      inherent problem staying taunt when the hammock is loaded with body
      weight and rainflys attached with shockcord have an inherent problem
      in high winds because the wind load may stretch the shockcord to the
      extent that the rainfly is not covering the hammock. The most secure
      rainfly is one that is attached with its own lines to a stationary
      tree/object and one that uses line that does not stretch. Certainly
      shockcord stretches, but the standard 1/8" nylon line will also
      stretch when loaded enough and may not keep a rain fly as taunt as
      line that does not stretch significantly under load.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      > Ok you guys, I need some help here. In my experiements with my
      > in preparation for my upcoming trip, I have slept in just about
      > imaginable weather condition you can think of. I slept in cold
      below 30
      > (fine - figured out what I needed to do to stay warm), wind, rain,
      > My problem is this......wind AND rain! Gusts upward of 50 mph. We
      > a wind advisory last night and being the dedicated tester I am, I
      > decided to sleep in my hammock to experience rain and wind combined.
      > Well, lemme tell ya something - there is a HUGE difference between
      > or wind and rain AND wind combined. I ended up soaked even tho I
      > adjusted the fly twice in the night on the side that
      kept "flapping" and
      > soaking me. Help - what do I need to look at to fix that? My
      > was setup so I was laying north to south. My feet were pointing to
      > south. The wind came out of the south - the rainfly on the east
      side is
      > what gave me the problems. The part on the west did not give me any
      > trouble. Another thing to keep in mind is this - the hammock had
      > left hanging in the rain for the whole day (it was dry inside -
      THAT did
      > have me impressed!) so the fly was saturated as was the tree strap
      > tie-up ropes. So I'm sure it stretched more than expected when I
      > climbed in last night. I readjusted (tightened) the rain fly
      twice -
      > moving the stake the second time in the hope that that would fix
      it It
      > did not - I woke up soaked - sleeping bag was soaked. I stayed
      warm tho
      > - yay!!!
      > Any ideas? Any questions that I may not have mentioned answers to
      > free to ask
      > Thanks!!
      > Jodi
    • Show all 32 messages in this topic