1633Hammock Camping Re: I need help!!

  • Christina Moon
    Jun 1, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Muller" <kim004@f...>
      wrote:
      > What are the dangers of lightning while in a hammock tied between 2
      trees?

      The first answer that popped into my mind was an experience I had
      last summer right in my own back yard. We'd had some thunder and
      lightning, but nothing for about half an hour. It was very quiet and
      I was hanging out on my deck in one of my hammock chairs. All of a
      sudden I heard the loudest boom I'd ever heard, coupled with an
      incredibly bright flash of light that went horizontal to the ground
      and out in a circular direction (like when a pebble hits still
      water). Lightning had hit a tree just a short distance from my house
      and split it right down the middle.

      I felt the energy of it go through me like the proverbial lightning
      bolt that it was. It was awesome!!!

      I called a couple of neighbors, neither of whom lives close enough to
      see my house, or woods in the summer. One had heard the boom, but
      didn't see the flash of light. The other, who is about half a mile
      away through dense woods, did see the flash of light as she heard the
      boom.

      Later I went out to see the tree. It was charred from top to bottom,
      with splinters of it thrown many feet all around it. At the base of
      it was a rock in the shape of a heart, with a half shell fossilized
      into it. Needless to say, I picked that up and brought it back to
      the house, where it has a place of honor.

      So, I'd say that the worst possible danger of being in a hammock
      between two trees (besides being hit directly) would be to have a
      bolt of lightning hit one of the tie-up trees!

      Cheers!

      Christina
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic