1628I need help!!

  • J Cornelius
    Jun 1, 2003
      Message
      Ok you guys, I need some help here.  In my experiements with my hammock in preparation for my upcoming trip, I have slept in just about every imaginable weather condition you can think of.  I slept in cold below 30 (fine - figured out what I needed to do to stay warm), wind, rain, calm.  My problem is this......wind AND rain!  Gusts upward of 50 mph.  We had a wind advisory last night and being the dedicated tester I am, I decided to sleep in my hammock to experience rain and wind combined.  Well, lemme tell ya something - there is a HUGE difference between rain or wind and rain AND wind combined.  I ended up soaked even tho I adjusted the fly twice in the night on the side that kept "flapping" and soaking me.  Help - what do I need to look at to fix that?  My hammock was setup so I was laying north to south.  My feet were pointing to the south.  The wind came out of the south - the rainfly on the east side is what gave me the problems.  The part on the west did not give me any trouble.  Another thing to keep in mind is this - the hammock had been left hanging in the rain for the whole day (it was dry inside - THAT did have me impressed!) so the fly was saturated as was the tree strap and tie-up ropes.  So I'm sure it stretched more than expected when I climbed in last night.  I readjusted (tightened) the rain fly twice - moving the stake the second time in the hope that that would fix it   It did not - I woke up soaked - sleeping bag was soaked.  I stayed warm tho - yay!!!

      Any ideas?  Any questions that I may not have mentioned answers to feel free to ask
      Thanks!!
      Jodi
    • Show all 32 messages in this topic