16275Re: [Hammock Camping] fabric, and old topic but I need some advice

  • Jeff
    Nov 7, 2006

      > I avoid ALL "waterproof-breathable" fabrics since all of my
      extensive past
      > experience gave remarkably dismal results-the degree of
      breathability is
      > just too low to justify the expense. I keep hoping that each new
      wonder
      > fabric will live up to the promises, but..Ed

      The best I've found for raingear is DropStoppers, but I'm hestitant
      to make something out of it b/c it's so fragile...so I haven't even
      searched to see if 2-ply MP is available. OWF had 4 ply last time I
      checked.

      But your post and Rick's got me thinking. One of the reasons I
      wanted WPB was just to protect the ends from rain. I could probably
      just use 1.1 oz DWR and spray the ends to get acceptable results.
      That would keep the middle very breathable and the weight would
      still be pretty close to most WPB fabrics.

      I would lose some of the protection for when I chose to hang w/o
      tarp...dew or quick storm before I got the tarp up...but this hasn't
      really happened to me very often so maybe I'm overplanning.

      Anyway - thoughts on just spraying the ends of a TravelPod from 1.1
      oz DWR?

      Jeff
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic