16243Re: Down throw

  • Sandy Kramer
    Nov 3, 2006
      I have a Feathered Friends 800+ fill bag, so it wouldn't be sole
      source of warmnth, but I'm not sure if I should throw the throw :) in
      the hammock and climb in or attempt to attach it with binder clips
      around the outside.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Wynne Eden" <stick/

      bow@...> wrote:

      > I have two of this type of down throw--50"x58", same size as
      listed, > and one may have actually come from Sierra Trading. One
      has a
      > brushed microfiber top and nylon back, the other has a cotton
      > shell. Both are way too short (for me-5'10") to sleep under as a
      > sole blanket, but work great to curl up under on the bed or couch.
      > We also have a full sized (as in full/queen bed sized)
      > down "blanket" that I've contemplated trying in my hammock or
      > elsewhere. It is a cotton blend cover though, so a bad choice from
      > that point of view.
      >
      > They are sewn through construction with the quilting being wavy
      > enough to generally retain the down where it belongs. They will
      > develop some blank spots over time and need fluffing/shifting to
      > work those out.
      >
      > If you found one that was long enough for you, they would be a good
      > late spring & early fall cover most likely. I live in S. GA, but
      > wander to north and central FL and up as far as VA/KY. I wouldn't
      > trust it as a sole cover at temps below 40/50 or so, I don't
      think.
      > I took one for my youngest son to use at a re-enactment in Albany,
      > GA last January along with a wool blanket -- he sleeps with his
      head
      > under the blankets, and complains of the wool making his face
      itch.
      > It was in the lower 30s and we ended up rebuilding our bedrolls at
      > about 2am.
      >
      > Now that you've got me thinking, some careful work could put two of
      > these together to make it long enough to sleep under, and you could
      > put the extra down back into the quilt to increase the
      > warmth.....hmm.
      >
      > One hint: We have these same down throws at Wal-Mart, Target, and
      > sometimes places like Tuesday Morning for probably $5 less and no
      > shipping in South Georgia -- same might be true in FL.
      >
      > Wynne Eden
      > Americus, GA
      > http://southeasterntrading.com/amohkali
      > http://southernindiandept.org/