16242Re: Down throw

  • Wynne Eden
    Nov 3, 2006
      I first read this backwards, and wondered what kind of "Throw Down"
      you were talking about....

      I have two of this type of down throw--50"x58", same size as listed,
      and one may have actually come from Sierra Trading. One has a
      brushed microfiber top and nylon back, the other has a cotton
      shell. Both are way too short (for me-5'10") to sleep under as a
      sole blanket, but work great to curl up under on the bed or couch.
      We also have a full sized (as in full/queen bed sized)
      down "blanket" that I've contemplated trying in my hammock or
      elsewhere. It is a cotton blend cover though, so a bad choice from
      that point of view.

      They are sewn through construction with the quilting being wavy
      enough to generally retain the down where it belongs. They will
      develop some blank spots over time and need fluffing/shifting to
      work those out.

      If you found one that was long enough for you, they would be a good
      late spring & early fall cover most likely. I live in S. GA, but
      wander to north and central FL and up as far as VA/KY. I wouldn't
      trust it as a sole cover at temps below 40/50 or so, I don't think.
      I took one for my youngest son to use at a re-enactment in Albany,
      GA last January along with a wool blanket -- he sleeps with his head
      under the blankets, and complains of the wool making his face itch.
      It was in the lower 30s and we ended up rebuilding our bedrolls at
      about 2am.

      Now that you've got me thinking, some careful work could put two of
      these together to make it long enough to sleep under, and you could
      put the extra down back into the quilt to increase the
      warmth.....hmm.

      One hint: We have these same down throws at Wal-Mart, Target, and
      sometimes places like Tuesday Morning for probably $5 less and no
      shipping in South Georgia -- same might be true in FL.

      Wynne Eden
      Americus, GA
      http://southeasterntrading.com/amohkali
      http://southernindiandept.org/