16233Re: [Hammock Camping] First night in the Mosquito Traveler (Byers)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Nov 2, 2006
      Thanks, Ed. Here's "more" already.

      I found two good trees (there were 21 in our group and everybody else
      was in a tent, so space was scarce). And I had this huge (10x12 HH)
      rain fly with nowhere to tie off. Finally, someone said, "Just use
      tent stakes." Let's just say that I had no privacy problems when

      HOWEVER, I would like to be able to have the fly higher. I want to
      make a square fly (8 x 8 sound OK?) so I can use it asymmetrically
      and only require to tie outs. No trekking poles when I paddle a

      I've found some good aluminum ones from Tent Pole Technologies

      They come in 13 ($2.60), 18 ($3.60), and 26 ($5.60) inch lengths..
      grommet tips are 75 cents. The .340 one is approx. same diameter as
      a pencil. Thing this is thick enough?

      They do give the weight per linear foot - .29/lb - so a 4' pole would
      weigh just over 1 lb. No problem in the kayak, but I'd probably want
      to take on a backpacking trip as well so I need to keep them as light
      as possible.

      Here's the question: what total length would you suggest?