      From: amy [mailto:askowronek@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 7:18 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Hammock Camping AT Section Hike

      On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:31 PM, Ed Speer wrote:

      Tony, I take 1,000mg glucosamine twice a day every day.   General advice is to take 3,000mg/d for first month, then drop back to a smaller maintance dosage.  On a long trail, i'll take up to 6,000mg/d, starting a month before the hike. It's not like a pain killer that takes effect immediately--instead, it works very slowly to rehydrate joint cartledge.  Most folks won't notice any improvement for weeks or months after starting to take it--some folks stop taking it because they don't see quick improvement--it's very subtle over a long time. It is also non toxic, so you can't overdose. Since rehydration is involved, be sure to drink lots of water every day of your life--tea, soda, coffee, etc don't count as water. How much water?  A gallon/d at home is not too much; of course, more when on the trail.  Yes this is a LOT of water! I no longer drink anything but water--my knees thank me every day! By the way, lower back pain is also commonly due to dehydration--mine has gone away since I started drinking lots of water and taking glucosamine!

      I use Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart--just glucosamine, not chrondrotin. I've read in a medical book that chrondrotin works wonders if taken by injection, but is not adsorbed into the body when taken orally. The commonly combined glucosamine-chrondrotin supplements that are heavily advertised are way too expensive for me, so I take only glucosamine.  Happy hiking...Ed

      I have anecdotal evidence that glucosamine works better in combination with
      other substances. Both my old horses are on a supplement which contains
      glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c. I ran out and used a glucosamine
      only supplement for a while. The combo definitely worked better, in that
      while on just glucosamine they both were obviously more limpy within
      two weeks.

      Not that horse physiology necessarily reacts like human physiology, of course.

      -amy
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic