15937Re: Hennessey Ultra Backpaker Asym VS. Speer 8.0A

    Oct 4, 2006
      Jim,

      I've used both those hammocks before. The weight difference isn't
      very much and most of it is in the tarp size so if you go with the
      same size tarps there likely isn't a weight difference of any
      significance. Most people find both those hammocks comfortable but
      there are folks who prefer one type or the other. Some of the
      issues that divide some folks one way or the other are the sewn-in
      bugnet versus removable bugnet, access to gear outside the hammock,
      bottom entry versus side entry, full time integral ridgeline,
      differences in setup procedures, how well it functions as a camp
      chair and flexibility with insulation. The flexibility with
      insulation effects wrap around insulation like a Peapod or other
      large sleeping bags that can encompass the hammock for the most part
      and the bottom side entry being somewhat of an issue with bottom
      side insulation when you exit and enter the hammock to a smaller
      degree.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <james.a.thompson@...>
      wrote:

      > !! HELP !!
      > I'm guessing that this is a common question. Should I purchase a
      > Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker Asym w/ large fly OR a Speer 8.0A?
      >
      > I'm a 5ft 10in, 175lbs, bicycle tourist from Connecticut. I
      completed
      > a TransAm ride (Northern Tier) this past summer.
      >
      > I'm interested in 1) lightening my load and 2) mosquito protection.
      >
      > Hennessey PLUSSES; Weight, Cost
      >
      > Speer PLUSSES; Winter conditions, bug protection
      >
      > What do y'all think?
      >
      > Pray for Peace ... JIM

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic